Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Don't Shop At Scheels


I don’t know Steve Scheel, but I’ve given him a lot of my money over the years. Starting with my first pair of Gore-Tex pants I bought over at the old Scheels Hardware store in Arrowhead Plaza in Bismarck, I’ve spent many thousands of dollars at Scheels stores, on everything from kayaks to shotguns to wool socks and dog whistles. I even sent him a personal letter a couple years ago complimenting his stores on their great service and quality products. My wife and I even had a couple of those nice Scheels tee shirts you get when you make a four-figure purchase. Had. They are in the trash now (the proof is in the picture).

Well, I’ve spent my last penny at Scheels stores after that right-wing Tea Party pap he printed in Sunday’s Forum. It starts out like this: Our three North Dakota representatives in Congress have thrown fiscal responsibility out the window in favor of massive social programs and government bailouts the people of North Dakota did not want. The sad part is they know it, and yet they continue to vote against our wishes and you should be able to read the rest of it by clicking here). I guess I thought somebody who could build an empire selling outdoor gear must be a smart man. Boy was I wrong. His rant about the just-passed health care bill and everything else he believes is wrong with our country just sent me down the road to Cabela’s (which sells the same stuff, at a better price, and at least has the common grammatical sense to put an apostrophe in their name). Vote against OUR wishes, Mr. Scheel? Maybe YOUR wishes, but not mine, or a couple hundred thousand other North Dakotans, including most of the hospitals, churches, senior citizens organizations and people who will finally get the same access to health care you do.

See, I wouldn’t have minded, Mr. Scheel, if you had just written and expressed your opinion on the recently-passed health care bill. But you just grabbed a bunch of punch lines from Sarah Palin and Glen Beck and Rush Limbaugh that bear absolutely no resemblance to the truth and regurgitated them, purporting to speak on behalf of North Dakotans. It was one of the most irresponsible acts by a seemingly intelligent and reasonable businessman I’ve ever seen. It was just plain stupid in places, especially the parts where you tell us what is going to happen next, as if you have the crystal ball that the best economists in the nation somehow misplaced. And it was not only stupid, it was mean and condescending.

You say the “Voters don’t understand.” Who are you to judge what the voters understand? I’m a voter, and I understand that our courageous House and Senate members, in their votes last week, just took the very first step toward making affordable health care for every one of our citizens, rich or poor, Scheels owners or Scheels customers, a basic human right. Just as almost every country in the developed world has done. We didn’t break any new ground here. We’re just catching up to the rest of the world.

And in the end, you ask us to recall North Dakota values. Mr. Scheel, the number one North Dakota value is that we don’t go around making stuff up and passing it off as fact. We tell the truth. You failed that one.

I’m not even going to start to try to clean up the mess of misinformation your letter contained. It would take too much of my time. I’m just posting that electronic link to your letter here, so my readers can go read it themselves, and then they can make their own choices about whether they want to continue to spend any money in your stores.

Oh, and I am going to post a link to this site too, which shows that you and your wife have given more than $50,000 over the last ten years to Republican U.S. House and Senate candidates and the Republican party. Must be nice to have that kind of money to throw around. Your biggest recipient this year: The always brilliant, relevant and entertaining, that favorite tea partier of yours, Michele Bachmann. Uffda.

So, Scheels shoppers, keep in mind that at least part of every dollar you spend at Scheels on fishing tackle, shotgun shells, camouflage shirts and bicycles goes to support the wacko policies of Michele Bachmann and her fellow tea partiers, who believe it is time get rid of the Farm Bill, Social Security and Medicare. And then think carefully about driving down the road to Cabela’s or Gander Mountain. That’s where my friends and I will be shopping from now on.

16 comments:

Nancy Guy said...

Well said Jim! I try to "shop local" but have never been able to afford much at Scheels. I did buy a couple pairs of shoes on sale last year but I won't be darkening their door again! Their are plenty of businesses like Barry's Bikes in Bismarck (Bikes & Cross Country ski gear) that publicly supported health care reform and that's where I'll be going.... I'd like to see $50,000 go to the ND Peace Coalition or any number of other more appropriate recipients!

Cat said...

Shouldn't there be an apostrophe after "senior citizens"?

(Teasing you. I appreciate your blog and learn a lot from it. And I plan to add Sheels to my list of shops to avoid because of it.)

Adam said...

I can go with no scheels, but not using cabelas as a replacement. They are a leech on local governments. Read, "Free Lunch" by David Cay Johnston. He talks all about how they demand massive tax breaks from local governments that never wind up working out for the localities in the form of more jobs, better jobs, or more tax revenue. Go to Gander Mountain, or better yet, your local outdoors shop.

Jim Fuglie said...

Y'know, Adam, you're right. Here in Bismarck we had a wonderful sporting goods store, Sioux Sporting Goods, run by the Thompson family, and Scheels ran them right out of business. Now our choices for sleeping bags are Scheels, Wal-Mart and K-Mart. Sheesh.

And Cat, you might be right about the apostrophe in citizens, but I'm not convinced that citizens, in this case,is possessive, which would call for citizens'. Certainly citizen's would be incorrect. I think the jury is still out on that one. I am a member, after all, of the Professional Organization of English Majors. Any other members want to weigh in? Lillian?

womanofthehouse said...

Our REI dividend arrived in the mail today -- how's that for perfect timing? REI -- even better --
a co-op. Been buying gear from them for 35 years.

Puzzle Mom said...

Excellent piece, Jim. Thanks for writing it and for posting it. Whenever I get back to Fargo, I always find myself at Scheel's, and just last November, I found the most comfortable walking shoes ever. This is so too bad. I'll have to find someone else who sells those shoes now.

No apostrophe, for sure. "Senior citizens organizations" are organizations made up of, not owned by, seniors. They are not like "senior citizens' pets" for example, where an apostrophe is called for.

Cat said...

PuzzleMom, you're right! And I even misspelled Scheels in my comment. My grammar snob career ends here.

mojo said...

I have the same history with this retailer and the same shock at the abject stupidity of the letter writer. It's as if he sat down and thought "How can I alienate at least half of my prospects and customers with the least amount of effort?" Well played Mr. Scheel...well played.

Purple cyclist said...

Thanks for tipping me off. I only shop at the Scheels in Eau Claire, WI and the one in Lincoln, NE. But now I'll have to find other places to leave my dollars. I have been a member of REI forever and we now have one in St. Louis, so I'll go there first. As for Cabelas, we limit that to the one in Kearney, NE since that's where it started. But after Bush showed up at one somewhere, we have had second thoughts. Now Scheels, geeze. Thanks again for the tip!

sgs243 said...

Did you notice that "all the most notible" quotes on the plauqes areanti government. See ya scheels. You are not getting my money any more.

BillyDan said...

Well let this be a lesson to business owners to not express their political opinions. Republican and democrat is all the same, no matter how misguided the democrat might be. You question his intelligence? That is sort of comical given the successful chain of stores he has created. All we can do is wait and see how far down in the pit of debt entitlements bring America.

pops77 said...

Jim,
I don't agree with your politics, I also don't agree with your characterization of Scheel's as a company. If a private citizen wishes to contribute to a cause he, or she believes in, why is it "throwing your money around"? Regardless of political leanings (we all have them) I hink it's relatively clear that the Universal health care plan was poorly thought out and force fed to the nation as a whole. While a republican, I am in favor of medical reform, but in in a plan that will solve problems, not create a myriad of confusion to stir up dust without correct a dang thing.

Unknown said...

Jim;
Thanks for your post! It has solidified my resolve to shop even more at Scheels. I applaud Mr. Sheel and totally agree with his reasoning.

Jim's an idiot said...

This is the most ridiculous "blog" post I have ever read. You continually make comments that disprove your main point. Whomever you are, Jim, you should be disappointed in yourself.

Jim's an idiot said...

This is the most ridiculous "blog" post I have ever read. You continually make comments that disprove your main point. Whomever you are, Jim, you should be disappointed in yourself.

Scot Stradley said...

After I heard Kent Conrad at UND in November 1999 say that Congress had provided the means for every American to become a home owner I began to think Scheel's fundamental proposition to be more true than false. Our Treasury's debt is $17.5 trillion. How'd we get from the millions to the trillions in our lifetimes?